Be awesome, helpful, and kind to others
A Switchboard exists to meet the needs of the community and serve its members through exchanges around asks and offers
All Switchboard members agree to honor the mission of Switchboard and adhere to the following community standards.
We are here with a purpose.
We’re here because we have a job to do. We want to band together to do something great as a community. We seek action, collaboration, and success.
- Posts are actionable. They make a clear call to action that is either a request or an offer. (See: What does a clear ask or offer look like?)
- Comments and messages are constructive. They contribute to the purpose of the original ask or offer.
If content is not actionable or constructive and does not serve the mission of the Switchboard, it will be removed.
We are respectful and kind.
Switchboard is about having positive human interactions on the internet. We distinguish ourselves from other online gathering places by emphasizing humanity, generosity, and optimism.
- Posts, comments, and messages should be civil, kind, and generous.
- Behavior on and off Switchboard should be positive and respectful.
We do not tolerate trolling, attacks, insults, abuse, or bullying of any kind. This content will be removed from Switchboard.
(If you have experienced any of the above, please contact your steward immediately.)
"Is this content right for switchboard?"
If you are wondering if your content is appropriate for Switchboard, ask the following questions:
- Is my contribution actionable and productive?
- Is my tone civil, friendly, and warm?
- Am I treating people the way I want to be treated?
"How do these standards help the community?"
A Switchboard is built to be helpful, productive, and optimistic. When community members misuse or abuse the space it can quickly become unhelpful, unproductive, and negative. It becomes a place nobody wants to be. The Switchboard stewards we’ve partnered with are incredible community builders who have invested a tremendous amount of time creating this place where people’s lives are improved. While we want you to feel ownership of this space, we also want you to recognize that it’s a privilege to be here. Switchboard is an awesome party of helpful people.
"Practicing Safe Networking"
Whether you are connecting with an alumnus, a potential employer, or a friend of a friend, it's important to take safety precautions when meeting someone new. "Networking up" creates a power dynamic that can at times be difficult to navigate. Remember that you are an equal party in any conversation and have the right to end it at any time. Consider the following tips and advice to help keep you safe:
- Meet in a public space.
- Use your own, or public, transportation, but don’t accept a ride.
- Get a second opinion. Think twice about making an important decision based on advice from just one person.
- Avoid alcohol.
- Tell a friend where you are going, and when you expect your meeting to end.
- Trust your gut, and if something doesn’t feel right, leave.
- Report any negative experiences to the appropriate authorities.